Recovery
without Support
This
is something dear to my heart. I would not be the person or possibly alive if
it was not for the choice I made to change my life. I was raised in a family
where I had all the support in the world you can even say I was over supported
hence spoiled, but that is something I would never want any other way. My
family was the best at support and instilled it in me. I like many fell from
the straight and narrow path or should I say the right path. I became a full
blown heroin addict why surge coat it. Yes it started with prescription
medication for injuries. I love the feeling and found I was hurt but only for
the pills, medication seeking and buying off the streets. Then I found this
drug heroin was only five dollars compared to the sixty for an Oxy the highest
pill form of basically heroin I found. All that said my family wanted nothing
to do with me. I had stolen from them all for this drug I needed so I thought.
Recovery
is a support based system, without support there is no recovery. Being in
recovery for years in January it will be five years on my birthday I have been
clean and sober. My recovery was something I didn’t just achieve easily it took
a lot of support from others such as; family friends and recovery based
outlets.im on a Methadone Clinic that has you on a set amount of medication to
keep you from wanting the drug or the crazing’s,. Then there are groups you
attend a week to report in with peers that are or have gone through what you
are or will go through this is mayor
this is where you say what’s bothering you and if you need to increase you
methadone dose to cope with withdrawals or triggers that make you want to still
use. This is where you see the support in a full circle. Now I’m not going to
sit here and say everyone on the clinic is not doing what would adequate an
drug free by any means, this is where there are a lot of bad things about the
clinics and stigmas. They say recovery only works if you work it.
Now
many say well why not stop the use and just move on you don’t need support.
Well ok I would say give it a try. Many have and many are no longer here
because of that reason they stay clean for ten years stay away and don’t use
and one day run into an old person they used to get high with. The person
relapses and possibly overdoses and dies from the no tolerance to the drug
after so long of being clean or drug free, well say the person does not die and
feels so ashamed all that time and hard work and uses that as the justification
why to keep getting high. See justifying anything to get high is a problem
That
same person in narcotics anonymous with the time they had friends and people
from the fellowship would have helped them. By always being one call away or by
surrounding you with a productive support system. Spending time with fellow
recovered person that cast no judgment on his or her past drug use... Well I
can never say no judgment I can’t speak for all, but they are strong groups
that have a high success rate of long term sobriety. Though I do not attend
meeting all the time I do here and there to get my anniversary key chain or
coin. Black is the one I have for multiple years. It’s been a while since my
last meeting and I will be by one soon but the life I lead I can take it or
not.
I
have the support of a loving partner who loves me through and through. All that
I stated prior about no family trust has changed? Well I’m the most called on
for anything from a ride to watch my aunts and unlaces house. I can say the
support I had was something I had to get it was there all along I needed to use
it. Family would rather see you do well they see you do bad and same with your
lover. Now I have times where I get upset and mad gosh I lost my mother and
found her dead on Easter of this year. I did what I knew I needed to surround
myself with positive people and work my plan for sobriety. Now I have all the
things anyone would want cars, jewelry, money a loving family and a lover oh
and the bills you will never escape them. Many think well I’m always going to
walk around with that notion that I’m an addict but if you had diabetes would
you always think that and feel bad well then there’s a total other problem.
There’s therapists out there that help
dual diagnosis mental/addiction problems ill repeat myself over and over sobriety works if you work it and there no
way to stay clean without support from someone even gods listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment